Saturday 12 February 2011

Reaching ten

So I said to myself that I would look back reflect on how things are going so far when I had read my first ten books, as that seemed to be a good number to choose from.

Already, in this first six weeks or so of doing this, things have changed. A job came up where I couldn't possibly say no to taking free books (especially since I'm not getting paid any real money), and I also learned that I might have a bit of a blind spot regarding gender. Hm.

I've tried to think about the best way to move forward with this, and I think I'm going to have to go for a more random approach. At the moment, I've been asking Pete for help with picking out my next book, for a bit of discipline (otherwise I would pick all the new ones, and the old ones would be left behind again) but he also has his prejudices. So I think I'm going to go for a goldfish bowl approach. Write all the names on a bit of paper, mix them up and then pick one at random each time. Then I'll have an even chance between the new and the old ones, and I'll be happy either way. The bowl will decide for me.

I'll have to wait a week or so to implement this, as I'm still waiting for some books to arrive from the office (I posted some home to myself so that I wouldn't have to carry them all).

One more thing: I am going to buy a book.

Today, probably. I am going to buy Tree of Codes by Jonathan Safran Foer. Because I read about it last year and I saw a copy in real life yesterday and it just looks too amazing not to own. I have to have this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment