Wednesday 15 August 2012

101/111 - Locke and Key (volume 1) by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez




Something I haven't done for a while is read any graphic novels, for a combination of reasons, so I decided to give it a go on the iPad. Firstly, it seems to be quite a bit cheaper than buying the graphic novels, so that's a plus. And it's a little more accessible - I don't have to carry around this huge thing with me that I'll only read once or end up damaging in some way. I ALS wanted to see how they would look on the iPad's display.

The experience of reading it was pretty good, and I liked the way the images looked on the iPad, very clear and bright. It didn't work so well in landscape mode, so I had it in portrait mode instead. The iPad comics also have this function called 'guided view' where the iPad will scroll through each individual panel in the correct order. I didn't like this. Firstly, if you have so much trouble reading comics that you can't read the frames in the correct order, you're probably an idiot. Secondly, I didn't like it because it seemed to detract from the overall effect of the page. It chopped things up too much, and the panels weren't a high enough resolution to keep the image quality, and it also meant that you're constantly swiping to the next panel. So I kept it in full page mode.

I enjoyed the story so far - its about a family whose father is murdered, and so they move back to his childhood home in a creepy old house that has loads of supernatural stuff going on. I'd like to continue reading it to see where it goes, but I haven't decided yet if it's worth the money at the moment. We'll see. With comics I tend to prefer reading a story once a large chunk has already been published, because I can't be bothered wiring week on week for things to unfold. I'm the same way with TV shows.

Not sure what's next, only ten books left, better make them good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment